11 December 2010

The Adventure Continues

Our adventures continue! We sailed off in the evening and headed to the Panama Canal. There had been severe rains in the area and the canal had been closed for only the third time in history and we were concerned about whether we would be allowed to lock through.

However the highlight of the trip, at least so far, happened before even arriving at the Canal. When we first boarded Jude attempted to book an evening at the Chef’s Table. This was to be a tour of the kitchen and a special meal. Unfortunately we were put on a waiting list. However upon our return to the ship from the broken taxi ride trip we had a message that there were spots available for that evening’s Chef’s Table. WOW, what a meal. I have never had anything like it before.

It started out by a group of 10 of us meeting at the restaurant. We were met by the head Maitre‘d. He had us all but on white coats and we paraded through the main dining room and into the kitchen. Part of me was wondering if it was going to be worth the extra amount of money we had to pay for this little adventure until they brought out the Champagne! Okay, now I was ready for what was going to happen. With drink in hand we were taken into the kitchen and met with the Executive Sous Chef. He began to tell us about his kitchen operations and the first of four different hors’ dovers began to arrive. As we stood there and the Champagne flowed, we ate the following:

Tuna Tartar with Wasabe and Pickled Ginger in Nori Sheets
Braised Escargots in Vol-Au-Vent
Bistro Mini Quiche Provencale
Roasted New Potatoes with Sour Cream and Cariar

After this 20 minute experience we were escorted to our table with flowers and amazing decorations. As I was finishing the Champagne, the wine for the next course was being poured around the table, a very nice white wine. We were then served:

Southern Italian Portobello Mushroom Risotto with Homemade Basil Oil

Next was time to clean our pallet and we were served, in a martini glass:

Lemon Sorbet and Mango Slaw covered with a shot of Grey Goose

I was getting full, but I hung in there and prepared myself for the next and main course:

Roasted Veal Shank and Aged Beef Tenderloin (FlambĂ©ed of course!) and Carved Table side with the Chef’s Portobello Mushroom Sauce, BĂ©arnaise Sauce and Green Pepper Corn Sauce, Vegetables with Chateau Potatoes

Oops, I forgot to mention the wonderful red wine we had served with that. But next came the dessert courses to include a dessert wine:

Potted Stilton with Port Wine and Walnuts, Biscotti
Chocolate Dame Mousse Soft Strawberries Center Florentine Tuille
Coffee Executive Sous Chef Brent’s Home Made Biscotti and Ammaretti

And by now it is 10:30 and we decide to head to the bar. Slowly Dee and Jude head back to the rooms but Greg and I hang in there and have a couple of Cognacs. Well, more than a couple and I was to pay the price!

What a meal and what an event. I cannot wait to post some of these pictures!

All this time we are sailing on toward the Panama Canal. At 0630 we were lined up on our approach to the lock and I wake up feeling less than perfect after all the drinks that went down so well the previous evening. Having locked through many locks, this one was still special given the fact that it was the Panama Canal, an amazing engineering project at the time it was completed (1913). Being a cruise ship we were given priority passage over the other vessels. No, not because Panama is so kind to the tourists but the fact that the ship must pay close to $300,000 to transit. We went right in.

The entire locking process took a couple of hours. After the completion of going into 3 locks and a rise of 81 feet we went into the lake and the ship anchored until it was time to lock back down. If we would have wanted a complete transit we would have needed to take the 15 day cruise that ended in Los Angeles. By 3PM we were back underway. Our port of call to Colon was cancelled due to rough seas and the ability to get this 1000 foot boat into the harbor opening. Off to Costa Rica. Did I mention that it was a bit rough out?

As the afternoon progressed my hangover never got any better. I went to take a nap and the life boat outside our room was being repaired. So much for a nap.

As dinner time approached I was aware that an old friend of mine was beginning to visit me. Now I have sailed for over 25 years and every now and then I get sea sick. Yes, the old bug came back last night. Between the hangover and the seas state I was only holding my own. We all went down to dinner and ordered. I got as far as one bite and decided discretion was the better part of valor and went for the only cure I know for what ailed me. I went to our stateroom laid down and closed my eyes. I slept for about 12 hours last night! Well at least I feel better today.

We leave here, Limon, Costa Rica, at about happy hour time frame and will be in Jamaica in about 32 hours. We will have a day on shore there, our last. While there Jude and I will be doing a zip line adventure. Well we shall see how this height fearing boy will do on that little adventure!! Until later, bye! Rob

No comments: