07 December 2010

We're BAck

Well Jude has been bugging me to update the blog so here it goes. Seems like I left off last March at Iditarod so I have a lot of catching up to do. Those of you who are friends of our on Facebook have been keeping up with what we have been doing but here is a quick update.

Jude and I were out on the Iditarod trail last year for the Sled Dog Race, she was a cook and I worked in the communications. We were at two locations, Mc Grath which is about 1/3 of the way along, and Unalakleet which is on the Bearing Sea, about 2/3 of the way along the race. While there we had our first experience with real cold temperatures. We were walking down to the dining facility and it was a clear and windless morning. Jude commented and said, “Isn’t it beautiful out this morning?” I answered, “Yes, if you like 40 below!” It was the first time we had ever experienced temperatures that were that cold. After about three breaths the hair in your nose begins to freeze.

We/I am now the owner of a dog again. Carrie thought I needed another dog so she gave me her Black Lab named Dude. He is now my buddy. With a Lab, do you have much choice?

Last summer we went back to work for Princess Cruise Lines. Our jobs are registering guests. They give us their paper work, credit card, and passport and we give them their room keys. Sometimes we do this in the terminal building, where the guests come to us, and other times we ride the train from Wasilla to Whittier and go to the guests with our computers.

Why do I bring this up? Well right now Jude and I are on the Coral Princess on a cruise to the Panama Canal. We left on Sunday, December 5, and will return on the 15th to Ft Lauderdale. We spend the first couple of days at sea, and arrive at Aruba on Wednesday.

As expected the weather is perfect and the food is tremendous. It is playing hell with the 30 pounds that I lost in the last year, but I am doing a lot of stair climbing and deck walking.

Yesterday we saw a sail boat off to port and we were somewhat envious of those folks. For those of you who do not know, Danny’s Fault is for sale. Last winter was so cold on Grand Isle that we made the decision to go ahead and sell the boat. We have had two offers that we accepted, but luck seems against us. As of now, the first fell through and the second offer is looking like it may fall apart too. Such is life.

Also last winter’s cold motivated us to head off in this southerly direction. We will be on the ship for 10 days and get off in Ft Lauderdale. From there we are taking the RV to Marathon, down in the Keys for Christmas. We will be there for two weeks and then to Key West for two weeks. Jude will be heading back to Detroit to see her mother and I will take a week wandering my way back to Grand Isle.

Enough for now, I will post again shortly. Photos will come in a few days when I have real internet service instead of this that we have on the ship. Rob

No comments: